Sunday, May 23, 2010

BIRTHDAYS & MEMORIES

Hi everyone! I hope you've all had a wonderful weekend!

My sisters Kim, Robin & I went for a trip in the country today to visit my Cousin Lynnie and My Aunt Jane. My Aunt Jane will be 92 next week, so it was a birthday celebration complete with flowers, balloons & chocolate cake as the fare of the day. My Aunt Jane has been in failing health for a while now, but her mind and her sense of humor are still sharp.

The irony of her age is that as a young girl of 13 with 2 older sisters and a younger brother (my dad), she was pulled out of school to undergo surgery and she almost died. 78 years later she has outlived all of her siblings. My dad passed away in 2003 and my Aunt Fran and My Aunt Petey have been gone for some 20 years now.

She wakes up every morning and tells my cousin Lynnie "well, I'm still here..... I don't know why, but I'm still here"! What a character she is!

The farmhouse that my cousin Lynnie lives in, is close to 200 years old and holds strong memories for me. It was there that my Aunt Petey first put a needle and fabric in my hands. I remember a piece of huck toweling, bright green floss and a pattern that reminded me of trees.

(looks pretty good for 200 years, don't you think!)

I sat on this very porch (pictured below) and took my first stitches.


Some 40 years later I wish my Aunt Petey was here so I could show her how far I've come. I think she would be proud!

To my cousin Lynnie, God bless you for all the care you give and to my Aunt Jane, God willing, we'll see you next trip. I love you both!

Until later.......from wherever you may dwell, I wish you peace and wish you well.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment